Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Daunting Task of Resume Writing

Did you know the rules regarding resume writing have changed?   I didn’t, but that explains why I’ve sent out resumes for three weeks without one “bite”.
Apparently, it’s no longer reasonable to write out a list of tasks performed in each position.   Even more now than ever, the onus is on the potential employee to show accomplishments; how one has changed the landscape of their previous position.  This means my old resume just doesn’t cut it anymore. 
The synopses, the buzzwords, things to avoid: it’s all so exhausting!  It can be hard to sell oneself.  Even if someone isn’t used to boasting about their accomplishments, the resume is one place where it’s perfectly acceptable to “toot one’s horn”, in fact it’s encouraged! One needs to stand apart from the crowd!
It can be a daunting task; so many sentences are written and deleted.  We all know that it is best to tailor the document to the position, which is why it’s important to know what we want, in order to put one’s best face forward.  This can be the only shot to land that all-important interview.  There are so many questions:
How do I set myself apart? 

How can my creativity shine through, but still maintain a professional appearance? 

How to format? 

What font to use?   

All these rules, constantly changing, it’s almost enough to make a person want to pull their hair out!  I find taking a deep breath helps, or if it’s impossible to find focus, there’s always procrastination.  The only problem with procrastination is that the work is still waiting, it doesn’t finish itself. 
What I wouldn’t give for a team of resume writing elves…
The only option that presents results is to plough right through.  Write and rewrite.  Copy and paste.  Make spacing changes.  Format and reformat.  Take a breather and look at it again with fresh eyes.   
Display strengths and skills and use a simple presentation with a simple font.
I wonder:  Can colour be used without the Elle Woods effect?  Does it give it that little something extra?  Without some sort of scent emitting computer, scenting the resume seems fruitless…
The ultimate goal for me is to show that I’m not just your run of the mill admin girl.
I’m so much more;

I’m the “Swiss Army Knife” for your office. 

I can take on anything and get results!

Need light computer help?  I can do that!

Need some marketing materials devised?  I can do that too! 

What about someone who can anticipate your needs?  Yep, me again!

Need an outgoing detail-oriented individual with a flair for the creative? I’m your girl!


Rah-Rah-Sis-Boom-Bah!

Ok, so I got a bit carried away.  Sometimes I need to be my own cheerleader to get through a seemingly impossible task.  Time to buckle down, take a deep breath and dive right in; hopefully I’ll come out the other side unscathed.


Time has passed; I’m not sure how much, as it seems to stand still when in a resume writing haze.  Yet somehow, I’ve made it through.  I’ve taken away the repetition, presented an organized front, and was able to bring it back down to two pages.  I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished, but I’ll look at it again later in order to ensure it reflects the correct image: a reliable, self-directed, efficient Administrator with a background in problem solving and who possesses a creative flair. 

Is that too much for one resume (or not enough)?  Only time will tell…

No comments:

Post a Comment