Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Redhead on the Loose!


I’ve made a decision:  I’m moving on.  I’ll miss all of my former teammates, but I feel that something more amazing is just on the horizon.  This decision gives me a sense of peace, which makes it obvious it was the right decision to make.

I’ve been holding on to my previous position in hopes of being re-hired to full-time employment, but now that it’s been offered, I’ve decided not to take it. 

Why?  Am I crazy!? 

I’m in a unique situation, as I’m financially stable and can afford to CHOOSE my next position, and I want something that offers a new set of challenges.  I like the idea of adapting to new situations, new challenges, and new ways to test my abilities.  So here I go.  I’ve turned down this job in the hope of moving forward, on to the GTA, to something new.  I love my old team, but that’s emotional; that’s not business.  In a business frame of mind, it’s just time.  I am taking control of my life, my future, and holding steadfast to my convictions. 

So, here’s the thought process that resulted in the position being declined.  The hours were changed; the duties of the job had changed, the person to whom I would answer had changed.  I wasn’t thrilled with the different hours, all later in the day.  My proposed days off were split, once midweek and on Sunday.  A two-day weekend was not an option with this position. I felt like plans were being made without me.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to be wanted, but I like to feel like the master of my own future, and it felt like this was no longer the case.  Despite this, I prefer something more Monday to Friday, somewhat 9-5.
Rest assured, this decision was not taken lightly.  I had weighed my options regarding this, and unfortunately, the cons outweighed the pros.  While I loved the camaraderie of the workplace and the team I had come to know well, I found the need to find something that works with my schedule, allows me to have my hobbies, and fosters my creativity.  If I had accepted, it would have been to avoid disappointing someone else, not because it was the right decision for me.  I’m at the point where I must start making decisions that make me happy, and avoid worrying about what others would think.  Sometimes it’s important to be selfish in an effort to manage that work/life balance.  In the meantime, I’m back on the job hunt and making plans for relocation.  For the first time in a while, I’m excited for what lies ahead in my future.

Could this be the biggest mistake of my life?  Absolutely!  But, then again, what’s life without a little risk?  At some point, I have to take control and go after what I really want, even if this decision makes me unpopular with my peers.  After all, aren’t I supposed to be in charge of my own destiny? 

No comments:

Post a Comment